Parish Annual Meeting & Elections
On Sunday, January 20, following a delicious potluck brunch, the Annual Meeting was called to order by Kevin Babb, Senior Warden. Election of new members to the Mission Leadership Team was the first item of new business.
Appreciation was expressed to Kevin Babb, Mary Caspers, and Jane Weingartner for serving four-year terms on the MLT as well as to Duane Douglas, Nichole DeWall, and Frank Sauermann who completed three-year terms. Bob Hulme, who was elected to a three-year term in 2017 resigned after serving two years of a three-year term. Kevin thanked him for his service as Parish Warden.
Seven new members of the MLT were elected to fill the vacancies: Walt Bohn, Marty Cavanaugh, and Bill Schafer to three-year terms; Sharon Hoffman, Andy Mills, and Marian Smithson to two-year terms; and Velma Schmidt to a one-year term. Pictures of the new MLT members are on the parish website. Click here to view them.
Following the elections, parish ministry leaders reported on their 2018 projects. The complete annual report is available on the parish website.
Highlights of the meeting:
- Treasurer Riley Atwood reported that the parish mortgage was paid off in December, reducing annual expenses by $9,600; 54 parishioners pledged over $175,00 for 2019; and 2019 will be his last year as Treasurer.
- Cindy (and Mike) Reinhardt reported that the 2018 book sales total was $14,157, including online sales, about $1000 higher than 2017. Also, the Reinhardts will be retiring from coordination of the book sales as of June 1, 2020.
- Sue Buckley reported on 2018 Building and Grounds projects on behalf of herself and Lance Greve, including the $15,000 HVAC improvement in the parish addition.
- Nichole DeWall was unable to be present, but her report indicated that six teachers coordinated Sunday Church School classes for eight children across the year. Also, she thanked Liz McKenney for her leadership of the Christmas Pageant in which 11 children participated.
- The church office now has coverage Tuesday – Friday by six parish volunteers whose work is coordinated by Jane Weingartner.
- Mary Bohn “retired” from 15 years of coordinating Outreach Committee projects at the end of 2018 but her January 2019 report let the parish know that the committee’s work continues due to leadership of the individual outreach projects. Fredna Scroggins asked parish members to consider volunteering to become Chair of the Outreach Committee.
- Marian Smithson expressed her happiness that both major goals for Parish Communications were accomplished in 2018: a widely read parish newsletter is now published weekly (with Marianne Cavanaugh and Jane Weingartner as editors), and a new age website went online in early December at standrews-edwardsville.com.
- Elizabeth Donald’s Relay for Life report indicated $3,363 was raised for the American Cancer Society in 2018, for a total of $38,700 since 2005.