St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Edwardsville was established in 1841 under its first rector, The Reverend Joseph Darrow. The present site has been occupied by St. Andrew's since the early 1870s, but the cornerstone of the current structure was laid in 1916 and the building completed the following year. The new addition, including a spacious parish hall, classrooms, choir rehearsal facilities, library and rector's office, was dedicated in 2001 and more than doubles the space available to the parish.
Over its 178-year history under 33 rectors, St. Andrew's has witnessed much of our country's history and has survived its share of crises, some of which were severe enough to close its doors. But through the love and dedication of its members, this modest parish has sprung back from each, supporting in its members the faith that St. Andrew's is "sustained for God's service."
Additional information about St. Andrew's is available in a parish history available from the church's gift shop. Copies of the history can also be found at the Madison County Historical Society Library and the Edwardsville Public Library.
St. Andrew's photo circa 1870.